Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sophia's MRI

We arrived to Children's around 11 yesterday and went right up to the MRI department. By this point, Sophia was complaining that she was hungry, and unfortunately since she was being put to sleep I couldn't feed her anything. She really tolerated being hungry well though, and I am so thankful. My mom came with us and gave her two new Christmas books so she was really excited to read those while we were waiting. I am so thankful that my mom was able to come with us. She was able to stay with Preston while I went with Sophia until she was sedated.
After about a half hour or so of waiting we were brought to the triage area. They did height weight and vitals on Sophia. She weighed 30lb 6oz! She is such a peanut. She was not at all anxious about any of this and was kind of enjoying all of the attention. Her hands were freezing cold so the nurse game her little hot packs taped to her hand, which Soph LOVED!!!
The nurse got everything ready for the IV outside of the room so Sophia didn't get scared. The nurse came in and had the IV in in about fifteen seconds! She was fast and Sophia cried for only a minute or two. But you should have seen the scowl on her face afterward! It was a little bit comical, every time the nurse came in she gave her "the look!" Thankfully at Children's they allow you to stay with your children before they undergo anesthesia. So I went into the room with her and rocked her in a rocking chair while they put the sedation meds through her IV. Then I laid her down and left the room. I am so thankful that I can be there with her, but it is the most horrible thing in the world, to watch your child's eyes roll back in their head, and go limp and lifeless in your arms. The test took a little over an hour, and then they came and got me and brought me to the recovery room with her, and she was still asleep. So she never knew that I wasn't there with her. She was so out of it, for HOURS afterwards!!!
Since she slept for so much of the day yesterday she was WIDE AWAKE when we got home at 6:15pm and stayed that way until after 11 last night! I was completely exhausted but she was not even a little tired. So we painted some giant Christmas pictures, and had some great one on one time together. And I finally made her lay down at 11:15 and it took her forever to fall asleep, and then she was up before 6:30 this morning!!!
And now we wait...I initially was told that we wouldn't have the results until we follow up with Dr Kasser after Christmas, but yesterday the nurses said that I could probably get some preliminary results before. I called the office this morning, and am waiting to hear back from the nurse or from Dr Kasser. Please pray for us as we await these results, that God will give us peace, and that whatever the results are we can walk forward in faith knowing that He is in control, and that we have nothing to fear.... John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it went well! It sounds like she did really well and wasn't traumatized very much at all! We will be thinking of your family during the next few weeks. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete