Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Being "that" mom

You know the one I am talking about. They say things like "I don't know how you do it.", or "I couldn't do it." or "I would be so overwhelmed." And you know they mean well and that they are trying to be encouraging. You know that they have no idea what you are going through and therefore they are just trying to be helpful. They don't mean to make you feel like you are "that" mom that everyone looks at a little differently. But being "that" mom the one with the sick kid can sometimes feel so isolating. So overwhelming so frustrating. So often as a nurse, I get the comment that it is so good that I am a nurse, or what would Sam do without me. Yes I am a nurse, but first I am Sam's mom, and that is my most important job. But at the end of the day even if I wasn't a nurse Sam would still be my precious little boy. And I wouldn't change that. I am thankful for this walk that God has given me. I am thankful for all that I am learning through Sam. I am blessed to have my faith being stretched and strengthened. Most assuredly I wish that Sam wasn't sick, that he didn't have to go through so much, but he wouldn't be the same either. God has given us to each other and I am so so thankful for that. Some days are hard, but most days are amazing! Sam is the most amazing little boy! He is kind and compassionate, he is emotional and brave. I learn so much about life and love while loving this little boy. Each step that we take in this journey reminds me that God is the only one that knows the answers and what tomorrow holds. And yes I get frustrated when doctors make comments like "Well Sam is just a mystery." Or "Sam is just being Sam, and he doesn't follow all the rules." But God knows the intricacies of Sam, and God created him perfectly. Sam truly is a gift, and I am so thankful to be blessed with him. So if you are "that" mom, that is struggling with feeling isolated and alone, as you are walking the journey with a kiddo that isn't the same as everyone else, be encouraged. God chose this path for you, He knows perfectly what the plan is and it will be amazing. Some days are truly hard, but in those moments God shows himself stronger. Be encouraged! Be blessed! Be happy! And be thankful! God's got this and YOU in His hands:-) We had IVIG yesterday and had one of our favorite nurses:-) Nurse Carol. Since Sam is gaining weight finally we were only there for about five hours

No comments:

Post a Comment